Sunday, August 31, 2014

Begin

wan·der
ˈwändər/
verb
  1. 1.
    walk or move in a leisurely, casual, or aimless way


Wandering is mostly what this will be about. I was hoping to have a friend contribute to this as well, he liked to wander and was one of the few people that I felt a connection with in that respect. He got what it meant to be alone and discover old places new to you. He knew what it was like to be comfortable only on this side of the lens, on this side of the screen. To be unknown.

And then, suddenly, he passed away. And I mourned as best I could for a person who was my friend but whom I had never met in person. And the world continued. It spun a bit more slowly for a bit, things and feelings pass and you don't forget people but you learn to go on. Don't you?

______________________________

I enjoy so many things that I sometimes think that I don't enjoy just one thing to its own fullness. That I don't appreciate the thing for what it is. That I don't give credit where credit is due. Photography, music, television (I watch too much), reading, etc.

So...

The Doctor

I am very pleased with the new Doctor. Peter Capaldi is nailing it for me and it's refreshing not to have the "pretty boy" and the crush from the companion thing going on. It was really played out quite some time ago. It takes me back to decades ago when he was the hero that rode in on a white horse to save the day and fun was always had. I loved Smith, but when the TARDIS lands and a head sticks out with just any old face you go along for the ride. I'm glad I get the chance. The new opening graphics and the new theme music also take me back. It is certainly nice to have what feels like a complete reboot. Except for the companion. And, as I don't like being spoiled, I won't spoil anyone else. But I have heard things.

Reading
Lately I have been jumping about reading amateur authors online. There's a ton out there if you look and some are light years ahead of a lot of professional authors I read. Just because you're paid doesn't mean you are good. It just means your agent is. As far as previously published works, I've been rereading the Hitchhiker series, and trying to get the nerve up to read the last of The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant books. I have loved that series for years and I hate to see it end. I'm in the club, white gold wedding band and all. The Odd Thomas series that a friend suggested to me has turned out to be worth my while. I recommend it as well. Koontz can always hold my interest and keep me guessing.

Listening

I listen to most anything. I don't like rap. At least not anything after the 80s. 

I do love Eugene Drucker. If you've never heard of him, I hadn't either until several years ago. Drucker has one album that I can listen to over and over again and I usually do. J.S. Bach: Solo Violin Sonatas and Partitas is that album and it brings me peace and comfort. I can listen to it while doing most anything. Working in the garage or around the house, driving, shopping, etc. It even makes the crowds at Walmart bearable. 

Now you know that's good music!


_________________________________

I think that's a good start. I feel good about writing this and I don't want to feel anything other than good about it. I have tried before to start and continue things like this but I feel as if I need it for a kind of therapy. If something I write here is helpful or amusing to someone else, well then I've made some kind of contribution to the world in a positive manner. And that's what we all should be doing. 

Deithiau diogel ...




No comments:

Post a Comment